Pages

  • RSS

Tuesday, September 17, 2013

The Backstory, Followers, and Barney Stinson, Part 3

This is the final piece of the big, massive, introductory post. Thanks for reading!

So now we're up to date.

Last week, in chapel, Dennis spoke about being a community that is sold out to God. He handed out a paper with the community living guidelines for our college, asking us to read them over and sign them only if we intended to uphold those standards.

Many of them were easy for me. I don't need to drink on my birthday. I don't need to watch R (or worse) rated movies in common areas (or at all!). Simple things like that.

But it wasn't what was on that list that I happily signed that got to me.

It was another point he made.

We are living in community with others. Some of them are struggling with things. Some are recovering alcoholics, or are coming out of drug addiction recovery programs. Some are trying to quit smoking. Some are struggling with pornography, and even higher rated movies or over the top chick flicks can cause trouble for them. Some have a history with the dark side of the spiritual realm, are or have been under spiritual attack, or even have excessive fears, and are easily triggered by horror films.

We need to support the people around us who are trying to change their lives by taking those steps with them. Do I really need to watch a horror movie, even if it's on my own in my room? Do I really need to sit there watching a movie with "only one kind of sketchy scene! They were covered by a sheet!" ? Do I really need to sit there and laugh at dirty humor, even if it's just with one or two friends who also laugh at it?

NO! I don't!!!

He made another point, one that had a few people whispering and rolling their eyes.

Dennis talked about the show, How I Met Your Mother, aka HIMYM.

I'm not even going to lightly cover up the fact that I have seen every single episode of that show. I loved it. I thought it was hilarious. I thought it had good writing, good acting, and cute love stories.

But there is a point to be made. That show is all about Barney Stinson, the man who has slept with nearly every woman in New York City. If he hasn't got her yet, he's on the hunt for her!

Just the day before chapel, I had been re-watching the last couple of episodes from last season, prepping for the season premiere next week. I really liked that show.

But God was digging at me. The show isn't as much about that now as it once was. Barney is getting married. The humor has mellowed a little, and it isn't quite as raunchy as it once was.

For several days, I was thinking it over. It's not the WORST show on television. It's not as bad as it once was. It's not like I'm telling everyone around me that they should watch it.

"It's the last season!!!" (A line I've heard in nearly a high-pitched whine coming from many students, including myself.)
But that's not the point. The point is that the show values crap. It values dirty humor and sex. It doesn't matter if it's not that bad. It's bad enough. And moreover, God has asked me to stop watching it. So that is what I am doing. It's one of a small list of things that I felt God asking me to give up when I was at Rockridge.

I have some great accountability for those things, and I intend to listen to Him and do what He is asking of me. It's not a huge thing, giving up a show that I really like, choosing friends more wisely, not napping just because I'm a little tired....they're little things, but God is asking me to do them.

I wasn't planning on making a point out of this, but I guess I am, now. Is there something really dumb and inconsequential in the grand scheme of things that maybe nudges at you? Is it something that's just a little bit outside of what God wants for us? Is it something maybe He is calling you to sacrifice to not only have a better relationship with Him, but to help the people around you?

Think about it.
Oh, and thanks for reading! :)

0 comments:

Post a Comment